Wednesday, November 23, 2005


Daily Reflection for 11/23/05

"Look to Ourselves...To Retain The Peace."


"It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us.

If somebody hurts us and we are sore, we are in the wrong also. We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it."
12 and 12 / Page 90

I remember being really angry when I first used to hear about this principal. I remember being angry about not being able to be angry. Who's going to tell me whether or not I can be angry? What does being an alcoholic or a drug addict have to do with any of this? Could this be part of the craziness that goes on in a Drug Rehab Facility??


I was way to wrapped up in myself to know anything at all. The point wasn't whether or not I had the right to be angry about something. Of course I had the right to be angry about anything I wanted. The point was that it wasn't worth the time or effort. Anger wasn't worth the time or effort because the stakes are so incredibly high for a drug addict & alcoholic.

I just don't have the luxury of being incredibly & justifiably angry anymore because that leads to ego which leads to the delusion that I can drink and/or use drugs again.

"The persistence of the illusion is astonishing" it says in Chapter 5, How it Works. Indeed. When astonished by something and in need of help, it's probably a good idea to go to those who are familiar with the problem, able & willing to help. In my case, it meant going to alcohol & drug rehab. Thank goodness!

No comments: